Have you ever wondered what to do with your life? Thought about how incredible your life is and how important your faith can be in shaping not only your whole future, but also others’? Would you love to get answers to some hard questions and find direction for your life? Are you looking for peace, good relationships, how to please God and how to make your life matter? Would you like a cross-cultural adventure, desire the opportunity to travel and maybe even learn another language?
Why not come and do a DTS with us?
WORD ALIVE DTS 11th Feb to 12th July 2019
Come and join us (and the kangaroos) in the amazing Aussie ‘bush capital’ during our best season, Autumn (Fall). Classroom phase (12 weeks); then cross-cultural outreach (10 weeks).
Sharing lectures and some group activities together, this DTS will run 2 streams concurrently:
- Crossroads stream for the 30 + age group: singles, marrieds and families.
- Regular stream for the 18 to 30 year olds.
You’ll know God more than ever before, develop His character, be family and community together, and receive vision and practical equipping for your mission and call.
This DTS has a particular WORD of GOD focus – getting the Word IN to you and getting it OUT of you – onto the streets and into the nations: think Bible distribution, Bible storytelling, Bible study methods including Discovery Bible Study groups, ‘End Bible Poverty’ activities, and Bible/evangelism apps and technology.
If this DTS isn’t for you why not try:
PACIFIC DTS 3rd April – 13th September 2019
Finding your footprints in the journey … island hoping from the Bush Capital to the Pacific Islands
The first three months of the DTS, known as “lecture phase”, will be spent in Canberra learning from speakers on foundational discipleship topics. The next three months will be spent in “outreach phase” where you will apply what you have learned during lecture phase as you share the gospel of Jesus Christ. You will spend this time island hopping from Bush Capital to the Islands, where you will get a glimpse of cross-cultural missions.
This school is opened to all ages and all cultures.
Our YWAM DTS’s (Discipleship Training School)are a great place to grow for any age group, the heart of the DTS is “to know God and make Him known.” The emphasis is about both knowledge gained and principles applied.
Next DTS begins 11th February 2019
- It’s a 5 – 6 month intensive school with a focus on encountering God, experiencing His love and reaching out to others. To know God and make Him known is the very core value of our DTS
- DTS is time out from the regular craziness of life to seek God, to dig deep foundations for your future and to get equipped for ministry wherever He places you.
- DTS is the springboard into specialised training wherever God is calling you, whether you are a mechanic or a student, a policeman or yet to be employed DTS is the doorway to the future. Working in existing YWAM ministries or the platform to birth a new ministry DTS is ideally suited to help launch your mission career.
- Go deeper and further in your relationship with God; find your niche in the Great Commission; become a world changer no matter how old or young you are!
- Whatever your age, educational and cultural background or life experience there is a safe place here for you to learn and grow in God.
- The environment at YWAM Canberra is international.
- DTS is an opportunity to give God six months to help you refocus, refresh, and renew.
- You’re never too young or too old to become involved in the purposes of God!
Every DTS runs between 22 and 24 weeks made up of the following:
12 weeks of lectures – numerous guest speakers, small group discussions, personal one on one time, ministry to each other, worship, intercession and having fun while living and working together.It’s a “”live – learn” philosophy – learning within the context of a cross cultural community, not just a classroom.
10-12 weeks of outreach – serving, sharing faith and encouraging local believers in an Aussie and/or international location, usually somewhere in South East Asia or the Pacific region. This is where you get a chance to take the gospel to the nations and see God’s power and love transform people and communities.It’s the opportunity to get practical with everything you’ve been learning in the ‘classroom’
Some of the areas covered during the lecture phase (by local and visiting YWAM leaders and teachers)
Foundations in the word of God
The character and nature of God
Lifestyle of worship and prayer
Biblical world view
Jesus as Lord
Flowing in the gifts of the Holy Spirit
Identity and calling
Forgiveness and repentance
Sharing your faith / world missions
Certificate III in Discipleship (10473NAT)
At the completion of all units of the course you will obtain a Certificate III in Discipleship. The DTS is designed to lay foundations of knowing God and making Him known by training participants in the foundational Biblical teachings and providing opportunities for hands on application of that training. The DTS opens the door for ongoing involvement with Youth With a Mission, and provides foundational training that will assist you in further missions involvement, or for personal application in any sphere of society.
- Encountering God: The purpose of this unit is to strengthen the participant’s relationship with God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) by imparting a life-changing understanding of the nature, character, and ways of God, by encouraging a response to Him in worship, prayer and obedience, and by equipping participants to read the Bible in such a way that transforms beliefs, values and behaviours.
- Seeing life from God’s perspective: The purpose of this unit is to enable the participant to adopt and apply the Biblical view of human beings and their role as partners with God in all of creation, while affirming the value, uniqueness and significance to God of every individual as well as all peoples and nations.
- Recognise Jesus as Lord: The purpose of this unit is to strengthen the participant’s commitment to follow Jesus as Lord and to apply that commitment to personal lifestyle.
- Becoming more like Jesus: This unit provides the participant with the knowledge and skills to establish an ongoing development of their attitudes, values, and behaviour to reflect those of Jesus Christ.
- Do the Works of Jesus: The purpose of this unit is to challenge the participants with the ‘Great Commission,’ to do the works of Jesus so as to defeat the enemy’s strategies, to strengthen their commitment to reach the lost, to equip them to share the Gospel, and to encourage them to clarify with God their personal life direction and purpose.
- Orientation to YWAM: This unit will give the participant an overview of the purpose, structure, history and foundational values of Youth With A Mission internationally, nationally and locally. The unit will also introduce participants to the opportunities that are available for them for further study and ministry within YWAM after the completion of the training course.
The Discipleship Training School is a combination of heart revelation and head knowledge with an emphasis in practical application.
There is also a component of written course work which helps students understanding reach a deeper level as processing and application takes place. Our assessments utilise a range of methods including: journals, workbooks, book reports, outreach reports, self-assessment checklists and supervisor reports.
The DTS is holistic in nature and units of competency are delivered concurrently enabling you to develop your skills, knowledge and character.
*For recognition of prior learning/course credit, please see the Staff and Student Handbook
- 11th February
"Our resource library has over 10,000 books and we have 8 purpose made lecture rooms"Learning is fun
"We are well located to public transport, with a bus stop right at our back door."Easy distance to shops
"Also available are a children’s playground, plenty of parking, a sports oval and spacious grounds."Play hard!