Love Your Neighbour – Local Outreach
Think global, act local! What we desire to do amongst the nations, what we train and send people to do, needs to happen right here in Canberra too.
Love Your Neighbour is about a local expression of evangelism and mercy ministries.
God has spoken to us from John 4:35 “As you look around right now, wouldn’t you say that in about four months it will be time to harvest? Well, I’m telling you to open your eyes and take a good look at what’s right in front of you. These Samaritan (Canberra, Nth Canberra, Watson) fields are ripe. It’s harvest time! (The Message) and Mark 16:15 And then he told them, “You are to go into all the world and preach the good news to everyone, everywhere” (Living Bible).
Some current local outreach ministries:
- ‘The Pantry’ – a subsidised weekly food outlet for anyone finding it tough financially; providing a place of belonging with time for a cuppa and a chat. There are Jesus conversations and connections that happen every week.
- ‘Hands On’ – “more than a craft group” – making lovely and useful things to bless others with; providing a place of belonging and creativity.
- ‘English@Gungahlin’ – working with volunteers from local churches in Gungahlin providing a weekly daytime and evening English class that includes bible stories and discussions of life and faith. Hospitality is a big part of this ministry, welcoming the students into homes for meals and friendship.
- Prayer walking and door knocking in our suburb – getting to know people, making community connections, and seeking to find ‘people of peace’ (Luke 10).
- Regular barbecues / soup and sandwiches and kids programs at the local government flats – being available to help, pray, share Jesus.
- Participating in the local RE (religious education) programs at our local school.
- Supporting local churches in their outreach and evangelism programs and partnering with visiting teams doing evangelism in the city.